Ten Lines from Ten Classics

>> Monday, March 15, 2010

Relax Max did this on his blog and I enjoyed it, even though I did poorly guessing the classics. A large part of that is that I have very eclectic tastes in books (not necessarily the "classics"). However, I do like a number of classic books and stories. So, this is my take on the same exercise, using classics I love (and you know because I took the lines directly from my own ebook reader):

  1. Alice was beginning to get very tired of sitting by her sister on the bank, and of having nothing to do: once or twice she had peeped into the book her sister was reading, but it had no pictures or conversations in it, 'and what is the use of a book,' thought Alice 'without pictures or conversation?'
  2. On the 24th of February, 1810, the look-out at Notre-Dame de la Garde signalled the three-master, the Pharaon from Smyrna, Trieste, and Naples.
  3. It was in Warwick Castle that I came across the curious stranger whom I am going to talk about.
  4. It was seven o'clock of a very warm evening in the Seeonee hills when Father Wolf woke up from his day's rest, scratched himself, yawned and spread out his paws one after the other to get rid of the sleepy feeling in their tips.
  5. A surging, seething, murmuring crowd of beings that are human only in name, for to the eye and ear they seem naught but savage creatures, animated by vile passions and by the lust of vengeance and of hate.
  6. I have just returned from a visit to my landlord--the solitary neighbur that I shall be troubled with.
  7. The year 1866 was signalised by a remarkable incident, a mysterious and puzzling phenomenon, which doubtless no one has yet forgotten.
  8. The Time Traveller (for so it will be convenient to speak of him) was expounding a recondite matter to us.
  9. The studio was filled with the rich odour of roses, and when the light summer wind stirred amidst the trees of the garden, there came through the open door the heavy scent of the lilac, or the more delicate scent of the pink-flowering thorn.
  10. The thousand injuries of Fortunato I have borne as best I could, but when he ventured upon insult I vowed revenge.
So, work and author, if possible. Note I will doing the same thing for my favorite (not necessarily classic) science fiction/fantasy works on Rocket Scientist and my favorite books-that-don't-qualify-as-either on Ask Me Anything. I think this is fun.

Oh, and I'm back.

4 comments:

Post a Comment

Labels

Blog Makeover by LadyJava Creations